Thursday, March 3, 2011

Parrots in Edgewater, New Jersey



When I first moved to my town, I went on a little drive to find what restaurants were in the area. I ended up in Edgewater, a town right by the Hudson waterfront (NJ). While stopped at a light I kept hearing the crazy screeching of birds, not like the normal sound of birds but seriously LOUD parrot screeching. As I got out of my car I looked up and saw beautiful green birds keeping warm around the utility poles. The nests they have built are huge and when watching the birds for a while you could see they had multiple levels like a little apartment building. 






They are known as monk parakeets and Quaker parrots. The urban legend about these lime green birds is that they "escaped from a shipping crate at Kennedy International Airport in the late 1960s and flew first to Brooklyn before settling in Edgewater; there are some parrots in Brooklyn, too." (NY Times).   






Midge xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment