Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Día de los Muertos

Last night I wanted to decorate my place for the fall. I had ideas of fake mice running across my table and a black feather wreath circling my front door but of course all of these ideas were made at 9pm last night when nothing was open.

I was trying to conjure up ideas when I remembered being in Mexico for Day of the Dead.  I am not totally sure if Day of the Dead is completely celebrated like Halloween because when I was in Mexico I was approached by little kids in costume for candy, but I do know that The Day of  the Dead is celebrated with family and friends to celebrate the family and friends who have passed away. Candy skulls, marigolds, private alters,  favorite food and beverages are offered to the heavens and placed at grave sites.

Here are some images I took of when I was in Mexico for the Day of the Dead. 

(Cute little boy in the market asking people for candy)

(Sacrifices for Diego Rivera, the artist, at his studio)



Because I could not shop for anything I decided to get out my paper and paints and make my own Day of the Dead sculls and hang them up around my apartment. 

Here was my process:










Happy Fall everyone!


Midge xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment