Monday, September 20, 2010

Fashion isn't just work

Sorry I have disappeared for 2 weeks. Week one I went to Canada for some family time and a friends wedding and week two I was involved in Fashion Week Spring 2011. My regular job is a dresser on Broadway, but sometimes I get other exciting jobs in between the hours that my show needs me. Fashion week is a major highlight for me.

I love walking up to the backstage door, checking in with security, getting my Mercedes Benz id tag and walking into the chaos of everything backstage.

Immediately when you walk through the doors you see hair and makeup area lit up by big bright lights. The hair area is usually getting a quick re look at the lead hairstylist showing them how to do the hair design.

The makeup area is usually prepping a few girls/guys before the big rush of models come in, also the girls get their nails and any bruises or blisters covered with makeup.


and the wardrobe department is setting up racks and waiting for the clothing to show up. That's me!

This season I was sooo fortunate to work on 2 shows that I have never worked on, Bill Blass and Isaac Mizrahi.

Bill Blass was a preview, which means that instead of the models walking down the runway they would be shown on a set and photographs and editors can look at the clothing multiple times instead of watching the model walk past them. Bill Blass' head designer is Jeffery Monteiro who use to work for other designers but came to Bill Blass and worked with the original colors of past collections: Red, White, Black, and Navy. I thought his collection of 27 looks was so beautifully tailored and incorporated menswear and long and short dresses. These are some looks I dressed:




Isaac Mizrahi's show was so filled with beautiful colors that I could see them worn by beautiful women on the polo fields of the Hampton's. He also did classic tailored suits and evening dresses. Everything was so girly with sequins and prints, simply stunning and beautiful. I did not actually dress this show, but prep the clothes for the runway. I steamed many dresses and jackets and was able to see all the beautiful stitching and handwork.




(All images are from Zimbio and Style.com)

Midge. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment