Monday, September 27, 2010

JERSEY LIVIN'



I wanted to show everyone my friend Catherine's apartment because as you all have seen I am trying to put my apartment together and I really admire her style. She lives in a new apartment in Jersey and I think really did it up beautifully, used all the possible space in smart ways and kept the lines of the apartment clean and sophisticated.

I also asked Catherine some questions,

M: What do you think your idea/theme was for your living room?
C: " Past apartments were shabby chic and comfortable and I still like that, but because this is a new building I wanted cleaner lines and I wanted something more adult with feminine touches."

M: What made you choose your colors?
C: "I loved the Tiffany blue color. I don't think its too girly of a color but still has a feminine quality."



M: What is a good tip when starting a room?
C: "The arrangement of furniture is where I start when walking into a space. The couch was hard to figure out where it should go. I played and moved thing around."

M: When designing did you stay comfortable or reach out of your comfort area?
C: " I grew into a new comfort zone. I wanted a Marilyn Monroe feeling but some pieces to ground it"



M: Do you believe the room is about the details first?
C: " Definitely details. I hate to turn the lamp on because it doesn't produce the best light, but I think it adds a great texture to the area. The pillows are a base, a neutral and the curtains locked in the color but if I changed everything and just kept the curtains I could have so many different options"





M: What did you build your room off of?
C: " Target mirrored stuff first. I thought it was modern with out being cold, feminine without being over the top. Also organization. What do I have the most of? what works best for my things? When moving in I tried to find storage where I could. I found these leather bins and thought they would look great on top of the bookcases. It holds texts and hides everything away. I live in an apartment with high ceilings and I built up. I think people forget to go up."



M: Where did you get your pieces from?
C: " Target except the 2 lamps and sofa. I got the sofa actually from Pottery Barn outlet. The dangle lamp is from Pier 1. The drapes are from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and are probably the most expensive element in the room. I love them though, they cover the extra wall space to make the windows look like one long window."



M: Do you find this space is good for entertaining?
C: " I want things to look nice but people still feel comfortable. I love how open the space is, I can entertain or have a night in with my boyfriend. He's a great cook so I make the salads!"



Thanks Catherine!

Midge xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Midge! This was so much fun and I'm honored that you were inspired by my place! And thanks again for all your help with my closet, I sometimes just sit and look at it now;-) let's get together again soon! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet of Midge to highlight your apartment on her blog, in such a lovely way! I'd love to see a picture that shows the results of all the hard work you and Midge did in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This appt is amazing Catherine not sure I have meet you, Yet I so Would love come see this place in person its great ....

    ReplyDelete