Friday, June 11, 2010

Puerto Rican Pride from a Canadian white girl

Hey guys,

I decided because it is Puerto Rican day on Sunday that I would make a recipe that I ripped out of Rachael Ray magazine, Tamarind-Glazed Chicken Thighs.

I had never heard of tamarind, but its actually a plant that can be grown in your yard and is sweet (learning new things every day kids!). The recipe called for tamarind pulp and the brand Goya is the best to buy so the recipe says, so off to the grocery store I went and quickly back to my tiny kitchen to make a lil' dinner for myself before I head into Manhattan for work.


First step was to marinate the chicken in apple cider vinegar and leave in the fridge for a few hours. I made the sauce next, here are some pics of the tamarind cooking on the stove with brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and 3 cloves:



After draining the chicken I coated the thighs in the tamarind sauce and put them in the stove. I quickly jumped in the shower (tmi) and came out smelling what I think is one of the greatest smells...vinegar. I know, call me a freak but I grew up with all types of vinegar everywhere around me. I started young with vinegar, in Canada we put it on our french fries, then it was the family recipe of Greek salad with a balsamic vinegar dressing, and lastly my Dad decided one day that a TBSP of apple cider vinegar was what every kid needed once a day. So pretty much I heart vinegar. My whole kitchen smelt like wonderful vinegar :)

While I had 10 more minutes on the stove, I popped the orzo whole wheat rice in the rice cooker, cleaned and trimmed the asparagus, and tasted a bit of the tamarind sauce once it had cooled down. Wow, its sweet but tangy and the orange I peeled and put in the sauce is really flavorful. Its unlike any marinade I have ever tasted before, you can really taste all the flavors.


Once the chicken was done cooking I pulled it out, put my plate together and voila!


I really recommend this dish, its delicious and wonderful as a new chicken dish :)

Midge xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment