Monday, June 28, 2010

Shoe Shopping!!!!

I have been trying to be good with my shopping addiction, but for the past couple of weeks all I have been thinking about besides redoing my apartment is that I want new shoes for work. I know...blah blah BORING! But I am at work all day, 6 days a week and try and look my best.

I run into a couple of problems when it comes to shoes for work. I'm not getting any younger and my flat shoes and sandals just don't cut it for every day attire. I am on my feet all day and have come to appreciate a good arch support and cushion. I recently purchased a pair of Merrell sandals/sneakers (don't throw up fashionistas), but sometimes I feel so dowdy in them. They are not my style and are primarily used when I cant take it anymore and my dogs are a barkin'.

Since my job is in NYC and I do love me a good outfit, I try to dress as fashionable as I can and as my job will allow. Being backstage on a Broadway show means no long beaded necklaces that can get caught and dispense beads everywhere, no white shirts or pants because they glow in the dark and may distract an audience member, and this is just a general rule...no short skirts without leggings or tights when kneeling down. As soon as I put an outfit together, the shoe situation is always a task and I have been known to ditch an outfit just because there is nothing to wear on my feet that would go well.

When I get dressed and this ditching of the outfit happens, I try and imagine what I would want to be wearing on my feet so when I have some cash to shop with I can try and find exactly what I would want. Well, my lucky day came. Not only was I in the mall for an errand, but I just so happened to walk into Lord and Taylor to find a shoe sale!!! I told myself..."OK Midge, now is your time to find a pair of sandals with a wedge that you have been fantasizing wearing with those new linen pants from gap (bought on sale!!) and your green Anthropology pants (awkward hem, can only wear with heels) and all the cute dresses that you can only wear on days off (thank God for those).

As I said before, I wanted a pair of wedges. What I had in mind was something in the skin color range of nude with an ankle strap to hold my foot in while walking around the theatre. I figured nude would be the best colour to wear with both gold and silver jewelry as well with any colour pants or shirt. Nude just blends in, you always hear about how they elongate a woman's legs when worn with a dress. So walking around the store I saw beautiful shoes that I would gladly spend money on but I was forcing myself to stay focused. Then I found these...

...and I have to admit I wasn't blown away at first. I gave them a shot and bought them and quickly grew to love them as soon as I got them home and tried them on with all the pants and dresses I mentioned before. They go with everything and are comfortable enough that i can get a few hours in them during the show and casual enough that i wont feel awkward at work.

Pictures to follow in a few days of all the things I can wear them with,

Midge.

"Munchkin" Cork Wedges, AK Anne Klein, Lord and Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment